Monday, March 19, 2012

DIY Peeps Easter Bunny Cutter!

Who doesn't love Peeps!!!





Okay...me.  I don't like them.

Please don't hate me...just not a raw marshmallow fan.

However,  give me a s'more made with a peep and I might bite off your finger.




Maybe that's why I've never made these before.  

 I just might be the very last baker to get around to them.







Until recently, peep cutters were hard to come by.  

Now I've heard that Peeps sells them online and

Copper gifts makes a gorgeous copper peep cutter called

the 'Bunny Bun'.  They even have different sizes!



I've put them into my virtual shopping cart a few times now,

 but they always seem to be the cutters that get left behind when I see my total!!

(copper's not cheap....)






So here we are again, it's Easter time, and I still don't have the right cutter...

(*sigh*)



"NO PEEPS FOR YOU!!!!"


Well we can't have that now can we...?



Time for a little creativity....and pliers.







I found this cookie cutter set at Wal-Mart, in the Easter candy section.

Jack and I were searching for something completely different

 and this jumped off the shelf at me!




I barely had it in my hot little hand when Jack said,

"MooooooooM!  You already have a bunny cutter!"

(some children are much too observant aren't they?)




So I explained to him...



"You know, you're right Jack, I do.  Look at the ears on this bunny though.  

They look a lot like something I need and don't have.  

I think I can turn this into what I need it to be."



.....then...

...after mulling that over for about thirty seconds....




"Mom, can I get that star wars lego set with the clones in it.  

I know I already have it but I can mix up the clones and make new ones.  

I really need it so Ethan and I can have a battle and play together...."






(Little stinker...)




So here's the set that came home with us...





The ears looked just like the ears on a peep to me,

I just needed to get rid of the feet.











I flipped the cutter over 

and just worried about the shape of the edge that would do the cutting.

Its much harder to manipulate the folded/top edge!



It took about five minutes of smushing and pinching 

with a pair of needle-nosed pliers.







No more feet!!!

His cheeks are a little less pointy too.








What do you think?

(they're 4"inches tall, in case you want to make your own!)





Pretty Peepish I'd say!!!



Thanks for stopping by,

Lizy B

34 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I too bought this set at Walmart the other day and I too have plenty of bunny cutters! So u will be making peeps cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Peeps. I wish I was by a Wal-Mart I would have me some of them to make the little peeps with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! They remind me of Sweet Sugarbelle's Peep cookies, which are also totally awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are SOOO beautiful!!!! I don' like Peeps at all either, can't handle all that marshmallow, but LOVE these cookies! Just adorable! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cutter make over! Funny, I seem to buy Peeps every year, but never eat them, kinda use them as decorations. Now cookies...:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a genius! Love that you made your own. And I LOVE your cookies. They are perfect! (I'm not a ppe fan either - unless it's globbed with chocolate!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are perfect, and so creative of you to restructure the cookie cutter! Good job! And thanks for sharing with Sweet & Simple Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The peeps are perfect! And I happen to love peeps in smores, too! YUM!

    Hey.....did Jack get to come home with a new set of Star Wars legos? I think that was pretty smooth on his part.....wonder where he learned that!?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, snap. He told you! :) You are a genius to think of bending that cutter. Love these cookies (way more than I would love to eat raw peeps).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the step by step on the manipulation of the original cutter.....and u got to use a tool! Wooooohoooo hoo! Another adorable result..you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SO GLAD to find another Peeps NON-lover. Your cookies are cute though, and GREAT JOB on the cutter reconfiguration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lizy
    I saw your cookies on Crazy Sweet Tuesday and I think they are awesome! Love the peep idea and the pretty srpinkle colors. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honestly I hate peeps :( BUUUUT these cookies are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on 'moulding' the cutter to your specific requirements - the cookies are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very inventive! Way to go. I don't like peeps, either, but I sure think they are cute. I would totally eat the cookie version ;)
    <3 Christina
    igottacreate.blogspot.com
    "Spring Fling" linky party now open!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I'd love to comment, but since I'm so busy pinning this and getting out my keys to drive to Walmart I can't! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. great idea, and how can you say no to that little face!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm a Peeps fan--big time! When I saw these cookies I thought they were Peeps. An exact replica in cookies. I think I would like the taste of these cookies a lot--especially with a hot cup of tea and those gorgeous little bunnies all sprinkled up. You did a great job resizing the moulds. Terrific job again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for your creativity and I will have to try this out for myself when I make these for my great grand children. :-)

    Thanks again,

    Grandma Kat
    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW - that is a great idea!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think your brillant,, I was expecting to see the pic of the Star Wars figures too.. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness I totally adore your blog!! :) Seriously so cute! I am your newest follower. Please come on over and check out my blog http://www.craftycagirl.blogspot.com if you like what you see I would love for you to follow me back.
    -Heather

    ReplyDelete
  23. I dont like actual peeps, but your cookie peeps look delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are too cute! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't stand Peeps, but I do LOVE a sugar cookie! These area the cutest!! I'm not handy so I may have to buy the actual cutter, but these are so great it'll be worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's Thursday, but I'm just now reading blogs from Tutorial Tuesday links! I love Peeps (especially when softened in the microwave). But Peeps cookies look like fun! I hope Wally World still has those cutters. I'll check today! Thanks for the great idea and instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You are SO smart bending the cookie cutter! I would have never thought of that in a million years! We really appreciate you sharing this at our link party and can't wait to see what you are up to next week!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE these!!!

    Newest follower and just featured you on my facebook page!

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loopy-Loop-Creations/236540319740508

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  29. You're a genius! They are sooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These look yummy. Just found your blog its so fun.. Come and check out my blog


    www.thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  31. these are really cute, makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I put the same cutters in my cart from copper cutters and just couldn't spend that much!!!! Thank you so much for your idea. I love peeps!! Great idea to shape your own. Perfect peeps. Thanks for saving me money! Sarah

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments (yup...I read each and every one!!!), thanks for taking the time to type out your thoughts! They truly make my day!

Your questions are so much fun, and I try to answer them by emailing you back directly. Please make sure you are not a 'no-reply' blogger so I can reach you!

Thanks everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...